Rencontres d’Arles and Institut français are launching a curatorial research grant open to citizens of an African country who are based in Africa most of the time.
RULES OF PARTICIPATION
1 — PURPOSE
The Rencontres d’Arles & Institut français curatorial research grant is aimed at African curators wishing to carry out an unprecedented exhibition project in connection with images/photography.
2 — APPLICATION
Please fill in the online application, link at the bottom.
3 — RESEARCH & PRODUCTIONSTAGE 1 — RESEARCH
– The selected project’s curator will receive a €5,000 grant.
– The budget and schedule will be submitted to the direction of the Rencontres d’Arles for approval.
– After the research period, the curator must send the artistic direction of the Rencontres d’Arles a note to validate the feasibility of carrying out the project and presenting it as an exhibition (stage 2).
STAGE 2 — PRODUCTION & INSTALLATION
After agreement, the project will enter the production and installation stage, supported by the Rencontres d’Arles.
> The €15,000 budget managed by the Rencontres d’Arles includes:
– Loans of works
– Round-trip shipping of the works to and from Arles
– Production of works: printing/framing, wallpaper, etc.
– Assistance with installation
– Invitation of the curator and possibly the artists’ accommodations in Arles during opening week
> The curator agrees to:
– Select the works for the exhibition and determine their presentation and reproduction rights
– Draft a text presenting the selection of photographs
– Be present during the festival’s opening week and participate in the guided tour of the exhibition.
In addition to this budget, the Rencontres d’Arles will cover the costs of scenography, installation and dismantling of the exhibition and security.
4 – SCHEDULE
> 22 June 2020
Opening of applications
> 22 August 2020
> Mid-September 2020
Announcement of the results
> Autumn 2020
Stage 1, research
> From winter 2020 for the summer 2021 exhibition
After validation, stage 2, production of the exhibition
For more information and to apply, visit Rencontres d’Arles