Jerwood Arts and Photoworks launch major commissioning and exhibiting opportunity for early-career artists.
The Jerwood/Photoworks Awards are a major commissioning opportunity supporting early-career artists working with photography to make new work and significantly develop their practice. Two artists will receive a £15,000 award each with a full package of support from Photoworks and Jerwood Arts to create new work over a 12-month period.
Applications are now open and will close on 12 May 2021 at 10am BST.
Now in their fourth edition, the Awards are for UK-based artists who have been practising for between one and ten years. Two artists will be chosen by a selection panel including Christine Eyene (Art historian, critic and curator), Sunil Gupta (Photographer), Joy Gregory (Artist), Julia Bunnemann (Curator, Photoworks) and Harriet Cooper (Head of Visual Arts, Jerwood Arts).
There is no age limit or fee to apply and both organisations particularly seek to encourage artists exploring new approaches to photography.
The Awards include:
- £10,000 artists fee
- £5,000 production budget
- Mentoring support from a high-profile international pool of experts for at least 12-months.
- Curatorial support from Photoworks and Jerwood Arts (including with Shoair Mavlian and Julia Bunnemann, Photoworks and Harriet Cooper, Jerwood Arts)
- A two-person exhibition in London as part of the Jerwood Arts programme at Jerwood Space (opening October 2022)
- A UK touring exhibition in 2023. Previous Jerwood/Photoworks Awards tour partners include Belfast Exposed, Belfast and StreetLevel Photoworks, Glasgow.
- A £5,000 printing budget from print partner Spectrum Photographic for the London and UK touring exhibitions.
Previous recipients of the Awards have included Silvia Rosi, Theo Simpson, Alejandra Carles-Tolra, Sam Laughlin, Lua Ribeira, Matthew Finn, Joanna Piotrowska and Tereza Zelenkova.
Find out more:
Read the full press release here
Read the Jerwood/Photoworks Awards application guidance, FAQ and apply here
Find out more about the Jerwood/Photoworks Awards and view past editions here