The Rencontres d’Arles is seeking for a Director
Since 1970, the Rencontres d’Arles, an unparalleled photography festival, has presented around 40 exhibitions every year during the summer at historic sites in Arles (churches, cloisters, industrial heritage, etc). In 2019, the festival’s 50th anniversary year, there were 1,400,000 admissions to exhibitions.
During opening weeks, the Rencontres d’Arles hosts nearly 100 events around photography, including screenings at the Roman theater, a symposium, panel discussions, lectures and portfolio readings.
Year round, educational activities take place for schools, training courses for supervisory staff and photography courses by famous photographers for amateurs or professionals.
The festival has an international reputation. Each year, it organizes exhibitions abroad in the framework of close international collaborations.
The Rencontres d’Arles is very popular with professionals and the general public alike, and receives wide coverage in the French and international press.
Call for applications:
The Rencontres d’Arles is launching an open call for applications to recruit a new director. The artistic, scientific, administrative and managerial skills of the applicants for this demanding post will be assessed, as well as their vision for the festival’s future editions. Candidates should submit documents allowing these points to be evaluated.
Responding to the Chairman of the Board of Directors, in close association with the Deputy Director and in collaboration with the Administrator, the Director of the Association will be responsible for:
– The artistic direction of the association, especially the festival’s annual edition, the participation of exhibition curators and defining the festival’s theme;
– Financial management, especially the institution’s financial balance, the development of public subsidies and the active search for sponsorship;
– The association and festival’s presence, in France and abroad, through an active co-production policy;
– The association’s communication;
– Maintaining, together with the association president, the trusting and continued relations with public officials at all levels;
– Managing the team;
– The educational dimension of the Rencontres d’Arles;
– Developing the Rencontres d’Arles editorial policy;
The work is divided between Paris and Arles.
Type of contract: permanent
Start date: between July and September.
Desired profile: Experience in art direction and structural direction is essential. The job requires a high degree of availability, especially for numerous trips in France and abroad. Excellent French and English are essential.
Application procedure: a CV, cover letter and artistic project proposal should be sent by email to Hubert Védrine, President of the Rencontres d’Arles, at email@example.com
Only complete applications will be considered.
Application deadline: Sunday April 19, 2020